The tasks we support at National Trust sites are generally outdoors and include tree planting, coppicing, scrub clearance and fence building. We also have special tasks such as boardwalk construction on Orford Ness or pulling Reed Mace at Flatford Mill. Many tasks involve a bonfire. Volunteering with us is rewarding, and the group is very friendly and sociable. There is a tea break and lunch break during the day, with hot drinks, biscuits and cake.
Suffolk NTV is an inclusive group, offering volunteering opportunities to all ages and abilities. Under 18s are welcome to attend, but must be accompanied by a parent or responsible adult, and a parental consent form will need to be completed.
Before you join us:
- Look through the programme and choose a task you would like to come on.
- Contact the group via email, facebook or phone for full details and to let us know you’d like to come out with us. Limitations on numbers may apply, in which case we will need to confirm your place.
- We will let you know where we will meet and at what time (usually 10 am). If you need a lift, we will do our best to arrange one. For Orford Ness we need to catch a boat – so don’t be late!
- On the day, its a good idea to check the weather forecast. In any event, wear old clothes, strong shoes or boots. Also bring along a packed lunch and if you suspect rain, water proofs. The group provides all the tools and gloves as well as tea, coffee and biscuits.
- Meet up with the rest of the group. The Trust ranger for the property will show us what needs to be done, and how to use any tools. We have tea break at around 11.15am, and lunch at about 1pm.
We usually finish at 4pm, but you can leave earlier if you want to.